A Primordial deck must contain at least 40 cards, all cards must come from the same set (reprints are allowed) and:
- Exactly 2 mythic rare / rare – not more than 1 of any individual mythic rare / rare
- Exactly 6 uncommon – not more than 2 of any individual uncommon
- ∞ common – not more than 3 of any individual common, except for basic lands
- Up to 8 cards in the sideboard, if used
- Any card referencing “ante”
- Ancient Den
- Chaos Orb
- Falling Star
- Great Furnace
- Seat of the Synod
- Tree of Tales
- Vault of Whispers
- Box Sets (Deckmaster 2001, Beatdown, Battle Royale)
- Casual Supplements sets (Explorers of Ixalan or any set containing “Archenemy”, “Planechase” or “Conspiracy” in its name, e.g. “Archenemy: Nicol Bolas”)
- Commander sets (any set containing “Commander” in its name, e.g. “Commander (2019 Edition)”)
- Duel Decks sets (any set containing “vs.” in its name, e.g. “Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors”)
- From the Vault sets (any set containing “Signature Spellbook:” or “From The Vault:” in its name, e.g. “From the Vault: Transform”)
- Ready-to-play Decks sets (Modern Event Deck or Duels of the Planeswalkers Decks or any set containing “Challenger Decks” or “Premium Deck Series:” or “Deck Builder’s Toolkit” or “World Champ Decks” in its name, e.g. “Challenger Decks 2019”)
- Reprint Sets (Premium Foil Booster, Anthologies, Chronicles / Renaissance and any set containing “Master” in its name, e.g. “Ultimate Masters”)
- Two-Headed Giant sets (Battlebond)
- Un-Sets (Unstable, Unhinged and Unglued)
- Unclassified (Guild Kits)
If a set is not in this list… then it’s legal! For more details, visit the Wizards’ official sets list (make sure you are looking at the english version).
3/4 Additional rules
- Basic lands:
- Any of the five non-snow covered basic lands can be played in any set.
- Cards rarity:
- The rarity of the cards depends on the set of your deck.
- The rarity of Timeshifted cards depends on their original set (Arena is considered as rare).
- Cards saying, “a deck can have any number of cards named […]”:
- Well, as it is written above… a deck can have any number of these cards (no matter their rarity).
- Cards that explicitly refer to another card from another set:
- Your sideboard must only contain cards that have been printed in a non-banned set.
- Your deck must still be compliant with the Primordial deck-building rules after swapping… (yes, some people do ask).
Primordial is using the free-for-all Commander system for its multiplayer mode. In other words, your deck must still be compliant with the Primordial format deck-building rules (no commander, 1 set, 40 cards minimum, etc.) and your games should look like this:
- 2-6 players
- Free-for-all multiplayer format
- Start with 20 life
- Take turns in clockwise order
- Last player standing wins
Also, as it used to be stated in the Official Commander Rules: “House rules or ‘fair play’ exceptions are always encouraged if they result in more fun for the local community”.
Rules version: 2.1